August 21, 2006

Alternative to Microsoft Word


I was looking on the line up a certain computer seller has for sale on its website and saw that they charge extra if one wants their computer to come with Microsoft Office suite, which includes Microsoft Word, Excel, Frontpage, and Powerpoint. For most of the mentioned applications like Frontpage most people don't use it.
Microsoft Word on the other hand is a different story, most people use it on a daily basis in the office and personal level. So, I started searching to see if I can find a comparable product that has most or better features that are in Microsoft Word but it had to be free.
When I came across Abi Word I knew I found what I was looking for.

Apart from being FREE, it has all the features one would need for every day use, one great feature I like is that I have nine different options of file formats I can choose to save my document including .doc (microsoft word), .html, .rtf, .text, just to name a few. For all the none english speakers/writers out there (got to remember USA is not the only country in this planet) it comes in 49 different languages. It is very similar to Microsoft Word, so all those transfering from word or people that are familiar with word will feel at home with Abi Word.
Check out Abi Word offical website at Abisource.com
Abi Word is part of the GNOME Office which also Includes Gnumeric, a spreadsheet application very similar to Microsoft Excel only FREE and GNOME-DB, software that provides database connectivity for Unix systems , also FREE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Top

Creative Commons License
.